Re: HYB: germination - chill time

  • Subject: Re: HYB: germination - chill time
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:41:34 -0400

? Chuck, I always value your thoughts and experience with these things,
& without more data, I'm hesitant to disagree.

Oh - who am I kidding, I'm not at all hesitant ;-)

Air drying at room temperature results in <less> chilling requirement to
remove germination inhibitors? I'd read somewhere that drying results
in <increased> production of water soluble germination inhibitors (which
are really easy to get rid of), but hadn't heard that drying <reduced>
time required for chilling. Or missed it somehow. It seems to
contradict the experiences others have reported of getting immediate
germination of undried seeds without <any> chilling. But like you say,
that may be a totally different gene pool from the TBs we can grow in
our climate.

My impression is that I'm getting faster turnaround without drying seeds
first. Most crosses germinate first flush after about three months in
the fridge, some after only two months, with no noticeable difference
between those dried, soaked, then burrito'd vs those straight into the
fridge fresh, shelled & burrito'd or not.

Except that those that are dried, shelled, soaked obviously get into the
fridge several weeks <later> than those that go into the fridge fresh.
Late June/early July vs early late July/early Aug. For me, those few
weeks can make a <big> difference in whether or not they are big enough
to line out before hectic, allergic spring bloom season starts.

Second flush might or might not be big enough that early, and 3rd flush,
coincident with "normal" outdoor germination is not big enough by then,
so usually stay in pots here till early fall & take another year to
bloom size.

I agree completely that rinsing goop covered seeds from decomposing pods
is less enjoyable than shelling nice dry pods!!

I'm definitely <not> suggesting this method to anybody, only sharing my
experiences with it.

Chuck, any thoughts about what's going on with those seeds in those 2 to
4 weeks between flushes of germination? Anner has suggested, I think,
based on Demo, that the amount of time they are spending at room
temperature as we rummage thru the burritos looking for germinating
seeds is enough to trigger the next wave of germinants, with or without
more chilling. Subsequent sprouting takes a few weeks.

<I would suggest shelling or just leaving unshelled pod until you have
time to shell. Then place in your burito. Or in some damp peat moss,
which seems to accelerate germination. Scientifically tested, as well as
personal experience. >