Re: Re: CULT: Mongolian seeds

  • Subject: Re: Re: CULT: Mongolian seeds
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:10:03 -0400

Brock  --  I planted the seeds in the same medium I use for my bearded  --  1/3 commercial topsoil (not bagged), 1/3 concrete sand and 1/3 peat moss.  (My friends emphasized that the flowers which produced the seeds were growing in very sandy soil.)  When they sprouted, I planted them out along with the bearded seedlings, giving them just a little more room at the end of a row.  My beds are constructed by adding 2-3 inches (depth) of new commercial topsoil and an inch concrete sand to the existing several inches of old tilled soil.  So, the beds have a pretty good component of sand in them.  I was surprised at the difference between the stalk height (tall) and the foliage height (short).  The clumps look as healthy as their TB neighbors.

L. Enkhtuya, from whose collection the seeds came, gave the following planting directions: "set down in early spring; 2 cm. below ground; dry soil (peat)."  I planted them in October, along with the rest of the seeds here.  As noted in the first message, only four germinated.  --   Griff