HYB: ripe pods
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: ripe pods
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 22:17:48 -0500

The pods are getting ripe and beginning to split. This was the first one
with lots of seeds. 55 seeds and that's a really good pod for what I
usually see. I planted 20 seeds and they'll sit around in the fridge until
fall unless something shows up earlier. Still leaves enough seeds to donate
some to the ASI seed exchange and keep a few stored in the freezer. It
always feels awkward to donate seeds involving a seedling as one or both
parents, but that's all I have this year. I've done it before, but I'm not
very comfortable doing it. At the least, though, it removes them from the
temptation of planting them and puts the onus of storage on someone else :).
At the rate I've been storing things I'm pretty soon going to have a whole
freezer shelf taken with up stored iris crosses. That really is out of
control.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA