Another Question
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Another Question
  • From: "El Hutchison" <eleanore@mts.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 17:29:12 -0500

We're having our 3rd annual CWIS iris show this upcoming Sunday, which has a new trophy to be awarded to the best historic iris.  So, I've been reading up on some of the historic iris I've seen growing around here, since I'll be one of the AIS judges.

When I was reading about IB Zua in the 1939 checklist, it mentions it's a sport of Florentina.  Can someone explain how sports in iris occur?  I've seen 2 different looking iris in several different clumps, but that was usually roundup damage.

Last year, when I was taking a picture of MDB Wiggle, I noted it had a smaller flower on another stalk, that was totally different in appearance.  I thought perhaps the younger flower would just darken to look like the true Wiggle.  Then I forgot about it til it happened again this year.  I took picture of them both last year, about a week apart, and included here.

I decided to clear the soil between them the other day, and sure enough, both iris are attached, not separate mixed up rhizomes, so I removed the different rhizome and stalk and planted it in one of the nursery beds.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3
AIS Region 16

JPEG image

JPEG image