Verna vs cristata foliage?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Verna vs cristata foliage?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:19:22 -0500

I hope someone can help me with this - is it possible to distinguish I.
verna from I. cristata without blooms?

I volunteered to help with biological inventory of the new tract of land
next to Frozen Head State Natural Area in Morgan County TN, & ran across
this clump of iris foliage. It was at about 3000 ft elevation, on an
old logging road, west facing side of the mountain. Odd habitat for
cristata, which was present at the base of the mountain, and odd growth
form for cristata, which usually spreads out rather than growing in a
clump like this. I. verna is a possibility in this area, & the supposed
verna that I have has a growth habit very much like this. But mine
hasn't ever bloomed, so for all I know, it isn't really verna.

It's a rugged hike up there, plus lots of rattlesnakes and copperheads,
so it would be nice not to have to go back.

Thanks in advance.

I seem to have let my subscription to the species group lapse - will
also try there after I dig up instructions on how to set to nomail.

Linda Mann
east TN

JPEG image

JPEG image