Re: I.D. help please!
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: I.D. help please!
  • From: "Jim" <jimmurrain@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 01:14:22 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, brimmsplace <brimmsplace@...> wrote:

> My next door neighbor has a huge clump of a beardless iris. I don't know a whole lot on the beardless, but I was hoping to find out what species this may be for them. As far as the cultivar is concerned, I told them "good luck"!
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Billy

It is absolutely a Louisiana Iris. It looks like a wild collected hybrid. Definitely not a modern cultivar. My best guess is Iris vinicolor. Even tho it has a species name it is a natural occurring hybrid. Check out this page at Zydeco Louisiana Iris Garden. http://www.zydecoirises.com/IndexPage/SpeciesList.html#Vinicolor

Jim