RE: Re: NOID from Tennessee
  • Subject: RE: Re: NOID from Tennessee
  • From: David Ferguson <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 02:48:12 -0600

I've been trying to rule out 'Indian Chief', and I can't do it.  I don't think that's what it is though (it just looks wrong - especially the flower shape), but it could be it.

Here are some that are at least similar.  'Vert Galant' is very similar, but there are some apparent minor differences in the striping (the yellow striping is narrower toward the edge - but this could vary?).  In 'Bruno' the striped area doesn't seem to reach as far past the beard.  'Dominion' is somewhat similar, but again, it doesn't seem a match, and I think it is (always?) less reddish. 'Coralie' is similar, but the color seems wrong in yours (not "pink" enough and too dark), and again the shape looks wrong.  'Dauntless' is very similar also, but again the striping is off.

There is a whole list of old cultivars of similar coloring, but I haven't found an exact match yet myself.  I have a lot of photos at home that I need to check, and maybe there is something in there that I'm forgetting about.

Dave Ferguson