Re: HYB: X-Tall TBs
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: X-Tall TBs
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:59:03 -0400

LOL - not intentionally, but there are several I marked as 'too tall'
this spring. Then wound up setting pods on this one. It was the only
thing still blooming that was fertile - end of season. 15GAK X AUTUMN
RIESLING. Photo from last year, when it wasn't as tall. Blooms
aren't huge, & bud count not all that great, so it stays up without a
problem. I'll check the height - seems like it was "only" around 4 ft.
So not in the same range as your skyscrapers.

Problem here with a lot of the really tall ones is that the taller they
are, the harder time they have staying upright in heavy wind & rain.
Smaller blooms help, but then the proportions are a challenge. I
finally discarded the tallest seedling I've seen here - very tall wiry
stalks snaked all over the place. bee baby from one of the (I. pallida
x MULBERRY ROSE) X bee kids. It was a really horrid thing, but I kept
it awhile as a curiosity, grew some seedlings from it that were normal
height & very retro plus nothing either unusual or attractive about them.

> Is anyone else playing with "skyscraper" type TBs?
>
> Christy

Linda Mann east TN USA

JPEG image