Re: Re: HYB: X-Tall TBs
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: X-Tall TBs
  • From: "Christy Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 06:19:37 -0700

Linda and Betty,
I would have kept the too-tall thing even if it was only 4'. It's not a bad place to start from and the colors your seedling might have brought would have added to the mix. A few of the best so far have had 'Mulberry Rose' in their background.
Part of the trick is to select for smaller, more tailored blooms (less wind resistance). The very few that have managed to stay in the project have remained upright in 35-40 mph gusts.
Ideally, a seedling will have resistance to leaf spot, good increase, at least 3 branches, a smallish tailored bloom, and stem strong enough to handle the thunderstorms and winds. A lot have hit the compost pile.
My bearded collection has been trimmed considerably so I'm on the lookout for TBs that hint at carrying the genes I'm after.