Re: HYB: junonia x aphylla WINE RED
  • Subject: Re: HYB: junonia x aphylla WINE RED
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 13:27:59 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Bill!
The junonia is a pale blue with odd streaking. It doesn't get very tall - always been less than knee high for me and the bud count hasn't been too impressive. The substance and form are pretty poor too. The seedlings are all probably at least as tall as junonia and many are taller. Looks like a definite case of hybrid vigor. As for fertility, I can't really comment with much authority, because all I've tried so far is diploid pollen on two of them (the one pictured and the big dark purple). I was looking for tetraploid pod parents to carry the turquoise stylearm midrib trait up into the tetraploids, so I've been putting my diploid "ruffled sib to aqua" pollen on anything that blooms. Looks like the two flowers of the pictured seedling have both aborted, but the big purple has two pods hanging on and darkening in color. Crossing my fingers!
Thanks again, Tom

Hi Tom,

Great cross, thanks for sharing. Was the pod parent (junonia) a blue or whitish clone? I have never grown junonia, how tall does your clone grow and how is the bud count? Sorry for all the questions. What is the height of the seedling? Of course the next question, did you test it's fertility?

We love your different crosses.