[PHOTO] borer? | Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:51:15" />

[PHOTO] borer?

Here are some photos of the problem I mentioned yesterday on IRIS-TALK.  I
assume it's damage from an iris borer.  Mark Cook seemed to think the borer
is now pupating in the soil, because when I found the problem, there was no
borer in the rhizome.  But as you can see, the tunnel goes all the way

I checked my other irises and don't see any evidence of damage.  If this is
borer, it's the first one in my 3 years of gardening irises in Cincinnati.

This fall I'm going to try a new trick I learned.  In early October, I'm
going to chop down all the iris foliage to about 2" high and clean up all
the brown leaf litter.  Supposedly that discourages borer moths from laying
their eggs.  Best of all, no pesticides!

JPEG image

JPEG image

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com