Re: PCN Iris

From: "Lillian Champion" <Liliaceae4@aol.com>

--- In iris-photos@onelist.com, BRAD COTTEN <bdcotte@a...> wrote:

Some of the other species  that have not been used
> in the hybrids tolerate  some extremes in temperature that it seems
> could  make the hybrids more adaptable . I have seen iris hartwegii
> growing where it is covered each winter with deep banks of snow at
over
> seven thousand feet elevation. All of the pacific coast iris
hybridize freely and I
> have long thought that by introducing other species into the hybrids
> these iris could be made more adaptable  for general garden use.
These
> iris are very easily grown from seed  and by growing seedlings in
areas
> less favorable  more adaptable varieties could be discovered (
survival
> of the fittest ). I would love to see someone in a more challenging
> climate  try introducing different species into the hybrids or even
> starting from scratch  to develop more adaptable hybrids .
> Brad Cotten

I have a limited amount of Iris hartwegii seed from high elevations
and would be willing to share with individuals that are serious about
using this species to increase the adaptability of PCN Iris Hybrids
and to share back with seed from any successes they may have. This
Iris blooms in much more shade than any other PCN species or hybrids
I have seen so could be used to develop shade garden plants. I would
ask that you send me a self addressed padded envelope for me to
return the seed to you.  If interested please e-mail me for my
address and to see what is still available as supply is very limited,
although I should be able to get some more seed this fall.
Lillian

PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/0/_/503733/_/952915460/