Re: Iris japonica

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Iris japonica
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:56:40 EST

In a message dated 3/12/02 9:25:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, hensler@povn.com
writes:

<< I wouldn't be surprised if you could raise these outside in your area. I've
 read they can take up to z6. Anyone know for certain? >>

Christy,
     I don't think they are that hardy.  A couple of Iris japonica plants I
put in the ground did not survive 12 F here in Florida.  Those that I grow in
pots, and put in an unheated garage on freeze nights have thrived.  However,
I am surprised that I still do not see buds this year.

Mark A. Cook
BigAlligator@aol.com
Dunnellon, Florida      [USDA Zone 8b]

Buy Stock for $4.