Re: Seeking Triple Socket Assistance

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Seeking Triple Socket Assistance
  • From: KYIrisNut@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:54:54 EST

In a message dated 3/14/2002 1:09:31 PM Central Standard Time,
fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Good luck with building the perfect iris.  That's my goal too.  Wouldn't
it be simple if two perfect irises produced perfect seedlings? >>

The perfect iris is a relative thing.  I have oft been rebuked for referring
to "the perfect iris!"  I'm told it doesn't exist.   My ideal is the one
sketched opposite the Section A sheet in the judge's handbook.  Silverado
often comes close.  Unfortunately, Silverado doesn't rebloom (no does it
always, if ever, have triple sockets) which is one of my criteria for the
perfect iris.

One person's perfect is anothers "ho-hum."

For me--create Silverado "look alikes," in all colors, blends, and hues, and
give them triple sockets on every branch with 9 to 12 buds.  Make the colors
clean and bright--I want them to scream!  Leave off the wild streaks by the
beards, the spoons or flounces (I might handle a horn or two--jury still
out), and the color breaks.  Don't bother me with Luminatas or Plicatas.

Have rebloom begin Sept 1st in my yard.

And what does YOUR perfect iris look like?

Betty Wilkerson from South-central KY . . . Zone 6 . . . sometimes.  BTW I
had a seedling in my first year's crop that was orange with triple sockets in
the terminal and two branches.  (only 2 branches but nine buds!) I didn't
save it <sigh> because it wasn't perfect! Good thing I can't kick that high
anymore.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!