Re: Seeking Triple Socket Assistance

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Seeking Triple Socket Assistance
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:35:15 -0700

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 4:54 PM
The perfect iris is a relative thing.  I have oft been rebuked for referring
to "the perfect iris!"  I'm told it doesn't exist.   My ideal is the one
sketched opposite the Section A sheet in the judge's handbook.  Silverado
often comes close.  Unfortunately, Silverado doesn't rebloom (no does it
always, if ever, have triple sockets) which is one of my criteria for the
perfect iris.

Have rebloom begin Sept 1st in my yard.

And what does YOUR perfect iris look like?
My perfect iris is tall and strong.  It never rots, pineapples or blooms out.  It should be a bright coral pink a la Anna Belle Babson or Beverly Sills, or a pink and lavender bicolor.  It should be large and ruffled.  A little lace would be nice too, but not necessary.  The clump should stay in bloom for at least three weeks.  I would like October rebloom here, not like mine that all tried to do it in January and froze.  The blossoms should have strong substance, able to hold up for three days in the hot sun.  Appleblossom Days has the right size, form and fragrance, but its color is too pale for me.  I crossed it with Anna Belle Babson three years ago and have several clumps that should bloom this spring.  The pink and lavender bicolor Poem of Ecstasy looked perfect in Oregon last spring.  This is its first spring in my bed. I'll have to wait a couple of years to see what it will do here.  Pond Lily would fit the criteria too if it were taller, larger and more ruffled.  I have six crosses from it just sprouting now.  I have too few good pink rebloomers that I can cross my almost perfect irises to to get rebloom.  Perhaps someone can suggest some good pink rebloomers.
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9 where the temperature has been either too hot or too cool this spring, and the irises don't like it very well.
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor