Re: Seeking Triple Socket Assistance

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Seeking Triple Socket Assistance
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:51:30 EST

I use the term "perfect" with tongue in cheek and I suppose somewhat sarcastically to imply the frustrations inherent in hybridizing plants. I respect but do not value the "rules" written by men to force conformity over the thoughts of neophytes seeing their first iris since their grandmother grew them. Nobody has a corner on the thinking market.

I too value the rebloom trait. Rebloom will continue to be a nebulous event in the South until hybridizers in our region address the issue. For an iris to rebloom for you in Sept. they would probably have to produce rebloom stalks at my latitude sometime in Nov. or Dec.  First, we need more hybridizers in the South. Second, we need to work with those cultivars that do perform in the South. Third: We need to aid the few hybridizers in the South with encouragement of their work through purchase of introductions bred for our climate.

Strong stalks are certainly a necessity. I personally suspect rot to be a genetic flaw. If this suspicion is correct the genetics of modern hybrids are probably so intermingled it will be a very long time before rot propensity will be bred out. I prefer taller iris foldage, taller stalks and larger, more refined blooms. I like standards more open than current vogue deems appropriate. I like being able to look inside and see all that's there. Its much like looking at a whole new flower. I too like lace but am not chasing it. I like iris that hold their falls up for an extended period. I prefer heavier bloom substance not because its more attractive but because it gives the bloom longer life. I believe your desire for longer lasting blooms in hot sun an obtainable objective. Your desire for clumps that have three or more weeks of bloom seem modest enough as a hybridizing objective. Lemon Chess, the culprit responsible for my initial request stayed in bloom for a full four weeks. Maybe a little more.  That's one reason I hold triple sockets in such high esteem as a genetic trait. Color is not an issue with me. Except maybe for those that don't exist or are not yet refined. Since all iris are beautiful, the ones that produce, do, or have things that others don't are both beautiful and grand.

Understand you are listening to the opinions of a guy who began hybridizing daylilies in 1984 as a get rich quick scheme, has never introduced one because he could always buy a better one someone else had done, did not even get rich slow, continues to hybridize them, is not making a living with the effort, and decided to not make twice as much of a living and hybridize irises too.

Those who hybridize understand it as passion. Those who don't see it as an affliction.

Bill Burleson