Re: Starlord, Your pictures are gibberish

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Starlord, Your pictures are gibberish
  • From: Catherine Button <cathy@pav.research.panasonic.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:19:54 -0500

Racheal Nekuda wrote:
> Cathy,
> My computer won't even open it.
> Wendy

I'm not sure if you are one of the folks looking at messages thru a browser
or reading them in email. For email, Starlord had a way-simpler 2-sec change
to see them in MS Outlook than mine but I don't use a pc unless I absolutely
have to (I have a unix workstation) so I bless his familiarity...

But if you share what software you are using to read email, I bet someone
here can help... by that I mean a one time quick setting change that will let
you see everything. That lets EVERYONE be able to send/share what they have
in any standard format that they have access to.

It may sometimes be geek speak but a little understanding or effort to be
able to read all encodings, means that more people can share, which is what I
think the objective is.

You might think that a person is emailing a gif or a jpeg format photo, but
in fact THIS NEVER HAPPENS. What everyones (without exception) email software
does for you automatically is "encode" the picture. The standards for email
when it was born allowed only for the transmission of asci characters (think
plain text). So what folks did to be able to send audio or video or pictures,
is "encode" it so that it could be transported around the internet looking
like plain text and using the standard mail protocols. The end receiver would
then need to "unencode" it.

Your email software does this for you invisibly, and most email software use
an encoding type called MIME. Someone elses might send it in UUENCODE.

Sorry for the length. Just hoping the a little patience and explanation might
help... Everyone uses a different approach...

          Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444          Fax: 609-518-3720

  safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across
  the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil,
  shouting GERONIMO!"
  cathy@gixxergirl.org           http://www.gixxergirl.org/

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.