[PHOTO] Iris Cristata | Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:32:42" />

[PHOTO] Iris Cristata

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Iris Cristata
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:25:44 EST

Sending yawl a smile today. Iris cristata is a favorite native here. A bullet
proof plant with the following additional merits: Thrives in shade. First
bearded to bloom. Self sows. Also increases by sending forth root filaments
in the top 1" of soil. Not only tolerates, but likes mulch. Root filaments
produce a "beaded bracelet" with tiny nodules (about 3 mm in diameter) along
the hair like filament. It may be moved transplanted and divided any time of
year with impunity and does not rot. Children like the bracelets, dig with
relish if ever shown it exists, and if shown where to replant what they dig
create new beds with a minimum of effort on my part.

Other natives in picture are azalea, trillium, bellwort, swamp grass, an
emerging bladder wort and a confused bleeding heart. Of these, bellwort is
special. Its common name, wild oat, brings tornados of smiles to my mind
remembering some of the grandest of times now gone by.

Oh yes! I almost forgot that's me on the left sending you the smile..... the
good lookin' guy with the rolled up eyes.

Yawl smile,
Bill Burleson
Old South Iris Society

Buy Stock for $4.