Re: anthocyanin

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: anthocyanin
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:05:50 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., oneofcultivars@a... wrote:
> Chuck that is interesting. You are suggesting (Anthocyanin can be
affected by
> temperatures and in cold spring areas it would likely produce more
> anthocyanin and appear more purple) anthocyanin production is
temperature
> triggered. I do not purport to know but would expect it to be more
triggered
> by light. Do you have more information? If so, kindly elaborate.
>
> Any enlightenment is appreciated.
>
> Bill Burleson

I have been studying anthocyanin and getting some articles and
information from a researcher at the University of Guelph (a leading
agricultural university)who is doing research on anthocyanin in grape
skins. There is a lot of technical information in this. There are many
triggers and some pigments are more affected by some factors then
others.While light is one of them it doesn't seem to be the
predominant factor. Growth hormone is also one of the triggers. It has
been noted  that in Californa, during warm winters, that the beards on
SDB iris are paler in regards to anthocyanin in the spring.
An intersting piece of information I picked up along the way is that
the red leaves in fall are that way as anthocyanin is produced from
the  chemicals in the leaves as chlorophyll dies. In some trees this
doesn't happen ( I can't recall all the details) while the yellow
colour is always there and revealed as the chlorophyl dies.

A lot more technical information but I havn't absorbed it all, or
finished reading all the articles yet.

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.