Re: Re: Arilbreds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Arilbreds
  • From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:08:38 -0500

>Those are on second year clumps.  I will have to divide them again
>late this summer.  They just multiply very rapidly where it is so
>hot and dry.  I understand they don't like the colder climates so
>well.  The only problem with them is that they are so quickly gone.
>Has anyone heard of an Arilbred rebloomer?
>Francelle Edwards   Glendale, AZ   Zone 9

ARIL REVERIE has rebloomed for some, but not for me.  It's a
quarterbred by Walter Moores.  My irises sure don't increase as
vigorously as yours.  In a way that's good, because I don't have to
dig & divide as often, I guess.  As for cold climates, I think that's
not so much the problem as the hot, wet, humid summers that we can
have up here.  Also if the spring freeze/thaw - freeze/thaw cycling
is particularly rough then the arilbreds can suffer.  I've started
planting them deeper which seems to help on both accounts (summer &
Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!