Re: Re: Arilbreds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Arilbreds
  • From: "Harold" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:48:53 -0800

This is a very simplistic answer to a question that rates at least a chapter in a book. Aril irises are a separate type of bearded iris native to the middle east (Israel and that part of the world). They are desert irises. Most of the pure arils and particularly the prettist are challenging to grow in the USA. For many years hybridizers have been crossing easy to grow TBs and medians with arils to improve their gardenability. For a beginner, I would recommend starting with half breds also known as OGBs. Once you learn how to grow those in your garden and climate, then branch out to other types of hybrids. Quarterbreds can be grown like TBs but usually are not all that aril looking so why bother until you have worked out what grows for you and what you like.

Arils are median in size. Rhizomes can be smaller than the erasure on the end of a pencil so do not be surprised by the size of any rhizomes purchased. Culture of arilbreds is best with very controlled summer moisture and a very well drained medium in contact with the rhizome.

I have a limited selection of arilbreds for sale. However the best source is the Aril Society International annual plant sale. A person has to be a member of ASI to participate in the plant sale but a person would save more than the membership. ASI has a web site at http://www.telp.com/asi/ for more information about arils.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 12:55 PM

I am not sure what an Arilbred is? They are very pretty in your pics. I like almost all iris that I have seen though , so I may be a little prejudiced.

Sorry to ramble, but what do I look for when I decide to buy an arilbred???
Thanks, Donna

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor