Re: Re: Arilbreds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Arilbreds
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 19:58:56 -0700

Harold Peters has answered your question about what an Arilbred is better than I could.  Mine are all OGBs.  They are similar in size to the shorter TBs, 28 to 36 inches, and the blossoms are quite large.  They have only two to four buds per stalk, and they tend to bloom all at once making a spectacular display for about a week.  In two weeks they will be all gone.  Of course there are some later blooming varieties.  My yellow Desert Moonlight hasn't started yet.  The tiny rhizomes Mr. Peters mentions must be the true Arils which I have never tried to grow.  My Arilbred rhizomes are rounded, 1 1/2 to 2 inches across with several shoots, so one provides an immediate small clump.  If allowed to get too thick, they will rot.  A clump like my Heart Stealer with its 25 stalks is approaching bloom out.  When I dig it in late August, it will have only two to five good rhizomes to start over next year.  How to pick some?  Visit an iris garden where they are growing and choose what you like, or order from the catalog of a good iris garden.
Francelle Edwards    Glendale, Az   Zone 9