Re: Arilbreds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Arilbreds
  • From: "Harold" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:14:18 -0800

Patricia, your climate is not very favorable for arils or even most aril looking hybrids so use that as your excuse.
There is no standard agreement on the distinction between "aril" and "arilbred". Some use "aril" when all of the chromsomes come from only aril chromosome parents and "arilbred" to indicate a cultivar with a combination of aril and TB/median chromosomes. Some use "aril" to indicate pure aril type and "arilbred" for any hybrids even between the different types of arils. Some have other distinctions. I favor the first definition as I feel it is more useful in communication.