Re: SPEC: I. reticulata & crocus

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: SPEC: I. reticulata & crocus
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:27:10 -0500

I used to order them from various places, but in recent years, I just
buy a bag of mixed ones every now and then at the local 'mart in the
fall to replace clumps the squirrels get into.  Some are rotten, but
they are very inexpensive (30 for less than $5, I think), & since I
don't care what colors I get, it's satisfactory.

I've found that most of the named varieties I used to get haven't done
too well here - the tricolored one seems to have disappeared except for
one bloom this year.  The pale blue and white clump in the separate
photo is Bluebird, which is down to only a few remaining plants,
although this clump is pretty spectacular.  The dark purple and pale
lavender ones are the most prolific here and have been self sowing in a
few places.  Another variety that has done well is a yellow one with
brown stripes on the outside of sepals.

The two clumps of I. reticulata are from potted plants last spring, also
from the local 'mart.

<Where can a person get those Species Crocuses.>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
Updates on migrant whooping cranes: