  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: PCH
  • From: "Jan Clark" janclarx@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:22:17 +1100

>I love these irises.  I know the winter is getting too
>long when I think of asking this..., but does anyone know if
>these would be suitable for growing indoors ?  If not, will
>these bloom in the shade ?

I grow mine with morning sun, or in 1/2 shade, and they seem to like that.
We are zone 9 here, and the summer sun can be intense. They don't like to be
watered on hot evenings. A sure way to kill them.
I rescued some from the garden of a deceased member of the iris society in
December. It was very hot and dry, they had not been watered for months, and
they came away with very little soil attatched, and the leaves looking
rather sad. I soaked them in water overnight, and planted under a camelia
bush, in the shade, facing South East, and lost only 1 out of 12 plants.
They are now putting out new growth, and will most likely bloom in Spring.
They have had very little water during the Summer as we are in drought here.
They are certainly tough critters.

I am enjoying the photos. I will try and scan a few more of mine for you.
Cheers, Jan in Aus.

Hotmail now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to