Re: pc iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] pc iris
  • From: vicki vicki_c@attbi.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:34:02 -0800

We find it quite easy to grow the PC iris from seed.  I would think they
would adapt better if started in the climate  where they are to be grown.

 You know what a mild climate we live in year around.  A lot of winter
rain, some freezing weather, occasional snow, and about three months of
barely measurable rain starting in July and running well into October
most years.
We plant our PC seeds in November in pots and leave them outdoors.  They
germinate the following spring.
When transplanting, we just dig  less than half of an established clump
and move it roots, dirt and all.
According to Will Plotner, the best time to move them is in the spring
as soon as the new white roots are about an inch long.  The second best
time is in the fall after the rains start and again, when one can find
new root growth.
Hope this helps!