Re: CULT: Squirrel Damage

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] CULT: Squirrel Damage
  • From: "Francesca R. Thoolen" irisgirl@attbi.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:05:57 -0800

Mike, We have many oak trees on our property and we have lived here for 45 years. We have never had trouble with squirrels eating things. The nuisance here that in the fall they bury the acorns where the soil is A-1 and in the spring they dig to find them. They don't always remember where they buried their acorns and so they dig and dig. The large plants, including irises, can take them but I have to put hardware cloth on the top of the potted MDBs to discourage the digging either in the fall or the spring. I have to have some stakes to keep the wind from blowing the hardware cloth up during a rain storm. When we used to have a dog and 4 cats they stayed away altogether. There is a product call Plantskyyd (spelling) which came highly recommended by a neighor. Her daughter found it on the internet. It is supposed to be good for other pesky animals too. She uses it primarily for deer and says it works and is effective for about 4 months. Then she resprays if necessary. The deer here only eat when there is nothing else avaiable in the wild. We live on the edge of town near the reservoirs and that is their natural habitat. You may want to search for it on Yahoo and see what it says about it. May that will save your plants from disaster! Good luck.

Francesca