Re: Linda Mann's markers.

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Linda Mann's markers.
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:41:47 EST

In a message dated 3/23/2003 10:39:03 AM Central Standard Time, c_holte@execpc.com writes:

I put a plastic
white knife with the name written on both sides by
a 'Sharpie Autograph Pen' in the hole when I plant
an Iris.  If I get really desperate for the name I
can dig for it.  This has saved me several times.

I have a similar fail safe system similar to yours. I often use surveyors tape, for practical purposes a plastic ribbon, and write on it with a sharpie. I roll or fold the tape up with the name on the inside. I leave a long tail on the ribbon and bury the name about 2 inches deep. I string the tail across the top of the ground and slightly bury it too. The writing last nine years or so and the hidden marker is easily found by following the tail.

This tape is to a gardener what duck tape is to a redneck. It fixes everything. I use it for binding clumps when moving them. Labeling plants for plant sales. Flagging clumps and stalks for specific pollens or other mysterious reasons, sending plants to friends, collecting plants from friends gardens and making messes with grand kids. The lazy part of me started out burying the temporary plant labels because I did not want to pick them up. I used it yesterday to do a temporary repair on a diesel fuel hand pump. The stuff now stays in my nail apron, brief case, porch, desk drawer, tool box and on the kitchen table. It's easier to find that way.

Tellin' tales of tails and lazy ways,

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor