Re: OT: Spring (Chionanthus)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT: Spring (Chionanthus)
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:23:50 -0700

OOOPS, got the name mixed up.  The Chinese Fringe Tree is Chionanthus
retusus; sorry about that, brain farted thar.  Was thinking Chinese, so
wrote chinensis.

I used to see Chionanthus retusus for sale more often than C. virginicus,
but lately that's flip-flopped.  I haven't really checked around, but I
think Forest Farm in Oregon sells the Chinese one (likely only small starts
though).  I'm sure there are other sources too.  It looks similar to the
American one, and might average a bit larger.  Some books say C. retusus
can reach 80 ft., but I've never seen one that was larger than an average
ornamental fruit tree (so far).  I think the leaves are blunter, and it
often flowers a bit later.  It produces flowers terminally instead of
laterally, so the look is a bit different.  I like the American one better,
especially when the leaves are comming out along with the flowers like some
sort of green flames at the tips of "fluffy" white branches.

Dave

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/2gGylB/TM