Re: Joint Venture

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Joint Venture
  • From: "smcallister.geo" arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:28:16 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, ranchiris@a... wrote:
> This is another Arilbred:
> JOINT VENTURE (McAllister '92)
> Kathy Chilton
> Tucson, AZ
> Zone 8/9

First, I'd guess that the flower in this photo was grown in full
sun.  The photo on my website is of a freshly-opened flower, with the
dark blush on the falls not yet faded by the sun.

In full sun, the blush does burn off rather quickly to reveal the
ground color.  To my eye, comparing these pictures just reveals the
effect of growing conditions and aging.

As for arilbred splotches, years ago some speculated that they were
virus-related like the splotches on the Rembrandt Tulips.  After
experiments failed to prove this, most experts turned to genetic
explanations.  We now know that certain patterns are subject to
splotching and that the amount [if any] is related to growing