Re: Re: SPEC: Unlabelled African Irid

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: SPEC: Unlabelled African Irid
  • From: Kenneth Walker kenww@pacbell.net
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:21:12 -0800

Thanks for the pointer to the International Bulb Society. M. polystachya is
a much taller plant with more upright standards, and, I beleive it blooms in late
summer here. After poking around I found a reference to Moraea tortilis, which
is described as having "twisted coil, cork screw foliage" and blue flowers. I couldn't
find a photo, other than of a dried specimen, but  a description includes "inner tepals
reflexed". The only problem is that is is supposed to bloom in the fall, not the spring.

Jan Clark wrote:

Ken I am sure it is one of the moraea's of which there are many (Do a google
for International Bulb Society and check out their gallery).
It looks most like M. polystachya, but that doesn't have spiral leaves. Are
you sure that isn't just a strange abberation? Your photo seems to show a
normal leaf on the other side of the plant.
Cheers, Jan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor