Re: PHOTO: Arilbred iris have to be tough here

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] PHOTO: Arilbred iris have to be tough here
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:11:42 EST

       The key to raising arilbreds successfully is to have good summer drainage and no standing water in winter.  I plant mine in raised beds of 3" above soil level.  One can plant them on a mound or on a sloping bank.  I water them once a week in summer, just like the TBS.  If I know an arilbred is tough, it goes in the ground right alongside the TBs.  I lost 2 iris of many new ones I planted late last summer.....a regeliocyclus hybrid (was not in the best shape when I received it) and the SDB Fizzgig, which was too dry when I got it and so never sent out new roots.  All the other SDBs that were new from the same source survived fine.  I didn't lose a single IB, MDB, I. pumila, or any oncos or regelias that were new.  One new TB looks "iffy."

Yahoo! Groups Links