Re: Re: *germanica*

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: *germanica*
  • From: "Hensler" <hensler@povn.net>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:29:23 -0800

Hi Neil,

The SIGNA Checklist probably has the best definition of I. germanica... In a
nutshell:  Plants 25"-30" tall; 2n=44; blue to blue-violet; probably
Mediterranean in origin and of hybrid origin but now widespread in
cultivation.

For all practical purposes, the type has been around so long that it's
become a recognizable group. The HIPS site shows a classic example
(http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/QFix.html).

One of my first irises was an old I. germanica that had been kicking around
at least since the early 1900s. The only time it every produced anything
with different form or color from the type was when it was outcrossed to the
more modern irises.

Christy

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN