Re: Re: Re: *germanica*

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Re: *germanica*
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:54:04 -0800 (PST)

The International Plant Names Index strikes again. Although somewhat useful it is filled with confusing information. Iris amasiana Bornmueller is a synonym of Iris danfordiae. Iris amasia Foster was published in 1885, in the Gardeners? Chronicles, predating trojana by a few years. Some while back we discussed kashmiriana, perhaps it was on the species list, There are no plants that fit the description of kashmiriana in the USA. But guess what I received pictures fron Nigel Service of it growing in Kashmir and they don?t fit the description either. All were the ? purple form? of what is considered a predominantly white species. I base this discrepancy on the bracts not the color and maybe the ?purple form represents yet another player in our mystery. With three such diverse chromosome counts kashmiriana may be even more of a mess than trojana or amasia.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links