Re: SDBs

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SDBs
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 03:54:57 -0800 (PST)

      Thought I would respond to this since I am currently working with a line of rebloomer SDBs in my hybridizing.  Rebloomers need an extra dose of fertilizer and a little more water than one time bloomers.  If they are deprived of this the rebloom can be weak and the color can shift...This could happen anyway and almost alway happens to mine when they have been transplanted.  They really need to be set in the soil to perform well....as for the streaking?   Could be virus or just frost damage.  Need to see first...
      I have grown in the north as well as the south and find that different regions cause different reactions of growth and color depending on the specific cultivator.  Some do much better than others....I don't believe there is one answer to the question....Paul Hill

bdavis3738@aol.com wrote:
Nice pics of the sdb's!
I have been meaning to respond to some of your posts since you are just a hop ,skip and a jump away from Champaign, Illinois.  I have relatively little experience with SDB's since they don't do well down in my native Texas.  I too have What Again and was slightly concerned that I might not be treating the plants right when I noticed differences in the colors and patterns in the rebloom. The colors weren't as vivid and the falls seemed to have faint streaking in them.  The crazy thing bloomed three times the first year I had it but then didn't do as well the second . We'll have to see about this, the third year.  Have you had the same experience with reblooming SDB's?   The only other rebloomers that I have had are Eleanor Roosevelt, which will rebloom if you look at it funny, and Immortality, which doesn't have any colors other than white with which to be inconsistant. I am very curious  to see what you have found.
I am currently on the road and I don't have a picture of the streaking I am refering to with me. I guess I'll go ahead and post what I do have of What Again.  I am hoping that when I get home from this job in Colorado that my SDB's will have grown quite a bit!
Greetings from a relatively near neighbor!
Brian Davis

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=What Again (2).JPG

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links