Re: [iris] Re: Re: SPECIES: why here? germanica

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: [iris] Re: Re: SPECIES: why here? germanica
  • From: donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:00:21 GMT

Catherine Button wrote:

> donald@eastland.net wrote:
>
> >>Your
> >>suggestion of cross-posting (which I'm doing here )
> >>

> >offers an out.  But to
> >

> >>keep Iris-photos on track as "iris photos" these kinds
> >>

> >of discussions need to
> >

> >>be shifted entirely over to Iris-talk, not just cross
> >>

> >posted.
> >
> >The problem is that some contributors to the discussion
> >are not members of iris-talk.
> >

> So are you saying that because one person won't relocate
a long but
> useful thread to the proper place, that you should
therefore change the
> nature and substance of the iris-photos list merely to
accommodate, uh,
> er, laziness?
> Plus lose the benefits of the contributions of the folks
on the iris
> *discussion* list?
> I don't understand that...

No, I'm not suggesting anything.  It was a comment on how
things are as they stand.  The decision on whether to
belong or not belong to any specific group is each
member's decision and I wouldn't speculate on their
reasons for the decision they make.  Bob Pries gave those
reasons at one time, but they may have changed.  If they
are valid reasons for him alone, then it is sufficient for
me.  His reasons could well have changed at this point.
But I did not know you could cross-post unless you were a
member of both lists.

As for list postings, it seems to me a group is comprised
of the members that belong to that group.  So any group is
in and of itself a separate group.  Postings in a group
would take the tone of the active posters at any given
time on any given subject.  Unless the membership in one
group is contingent on membership in another group, then
the constraints would be input from members of a group, as
when Linda Mann spoke up, or upon parameters set by the
list owner, as when John spoke up about the thread.  Also,
on cross posting, I did try earlier.  I used the reply
function from iris-talk and noticed it was only being sent
to the one group, though Neil cross posted.  I made a typo
on the iris-photos address so transmission to that group
was rejected.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

This message was provided by TXOL Internet.
http://www.txol.net/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511