Re: Re: SPECIES: why here? germanica

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: SPECIES: why here? germanica
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:06:05 -0800

On Mar 18, 2004, at 5:42 PM, donald wrote:

> John,
>
>> On iris-photos you set your subscription to "No-Mail"
>> On Iris@h... you subscribe to iris-allow@h...
>
> I'm familiar with the 'no-mail' setting.  That's how I use iris-
> photos. But I'm not familiar with the other.  I thought you had to
> be a recognized member of a list to cross post or else mail would
> not be recognized as being from a member and thus rejected (keeps
> spam out, for one thing, thankfully).

iris-allow@hort.net works like "no-mail"  That is, it "allows" you to
post but does not send you any mail.

>  So in order for all the
> participants of the thread to cross post, then all participants
> would need to be members.  They could do that via 'no mail' on
> either or both groups couldn't they?  That would entail working from
> the archives to some extent.

If they used no-mail on both, yes they would have to work from the
archives.

> The other question is that if message is cross posted, a reply
> wouldn't automatically be cross posted, would it?  When I replied to
> Neil's message earlier today that appeared on both lists, I replied
> via the hortnet posting, but my reply didn't automatically send to
> iris-photos.

If a message was addressed to both iris-photos and iris@hort then
"Reply to All" should send a message to both lists, but the message you
reply to has to have both addresses in the address field. If it doesn't
and you want it to go to both, simply add the one that is missing

> That could have been because Neil posted in two
> separate messages, I don't know.

correct

>  So in order to reply I had to add
> the other list email address (and messed it up).

You had the right idea,

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA