Re: Red on red, sdlg 01J14

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Red on red, sdlg 01J14
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:56:48 -0500

Griff, I had a notion 01J14 was from Romantic Evening.  Somehow it had the stamp of RE character.  The rest of the pedigree sounds super too.

I find it interesting how widely and in diverse climates Romantic Evening can be grown successfully.  That is another quality we need in our seedlings.

What you said about heaving and seedlings clear out of the ground or standing on their roots describes what I have had here too.  After losing nearly half the tiny things last spring and summer from incessant rain--they just rotted off at the crown--then to have this kind of winter heaving on top of that.  They just did not grow very well last summer.  Some of them are just about the same size they were when I lined them out.  The survivors looked pretty healthy yesterday.  I have no intention of going outside until it warms up today, however.  Maybe around 3 pm.......

Linda Mann, when I complained about all the losses, made the remark that all this may have done me a favor--weeded out the weak before I saw them.  I sure hope the survivors are as good as their pedigrees.  There's some super quality parents involved.  Wouldn't it be something for the survivors--whenever they *do* get big enough to bloom-- to be as good or hopefully even better than their mamas and papas.  (Dream on.....but once in a while it *does* happen!  Hope never dies.)

Neil Mogensen   zone 7 ???  It was 18.8 degrees this morning, and we dropped below 32 right after sundown....in the mountains of western NC

Yahoo! Groups Links