Re: i. Albicans?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] i. Albicans?
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:44:35 -0800 (PST)

I am pretty confident that it is albicans, but I welcome any dissenting views. It is always hard to identify plants from photos but considering the other choice is probably I. florentina i think the branching is more like albicans. I have been having a hard time finding a photo that would show the short stubby branches and spurs typical of albicans for the encyclopedia and this is the best shot of that feature I have seen. Would you allow me to use it with credit of course?

Pearl Doyle <pdoyle@our-town.com> wrote:
Is this i. Albicans? On a genealogy research trip three years ago I found this iris growing in an abandoned cemetery. Most of the headstones in that cemetery were dated in the late 1800's. I commented "My kind of flower. It has grown here for at least a hundred years with no help from a human hand." My sister found a bag and gathered us a start. I realize they could have been planted at a later date, but the cemetery has not been tended for a long time and I think they couldn't have been much later than the early 1900's.

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=NicksIris_clump.JPG

> ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=NicksIris_detail.JPG

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links