Re: Re: [SpaceAgeRobin] Reblooming Spaceage Luminata Seedling

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: [SpaceAgeRobin] Reblooming Spaceage Luminata Seedling
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:31:41 -0800

On Mar 24, 2004, at 7:19 AM, oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:

>  My conclusion is: The web coupled with photo capacity and the ability
> to type have began a long needed reversal of a tail wag the dog
> mentality where worthy irises go beyond the suppression they have long
> endured by the judge's lists and board policies designed to entrench
> the leadership of that group's interests in lieu of those of the
> masses and iris promotion.

I accept that you have the right to express an opinion about the effect
a particular policy may have. Expressing those opinions on either
iris-photos or iris@hort is always acceptable. I may even agree with
some of them. However, to deprecate a group by assigning
unsubstantiated motives is inappropriate.

I am a member of the AIS Board, and Chair of the Electronic Services
Committee. While I was probably not around when the (unspecified)
policies you remark on were put in place, I can tell you this. I work
very hard to advance the cause of irises to the general public. I
believe I am making great progress in moving the AIS into the
electronic world. I am sure it is not as fast as everyone wants,  but
we are moving. I believe the entire board is supportive of this given
some of the constraints we have to operate under.

One of the main functions of the AIS is to promote irises to the
general public and I believe the organization operates on a daily basis
to achieve that goal.

If you feel their policies are wrong, ineffective or misguided, do
something about it. Get involved, Go to the meetings. Write letters.
Most of all, suggest solutions.