Re: Arilbred iris (was Re: AB: Bagdad's Folly)

  • Subject: Re: Arilbred iris (was Re: [iris-photos] AB: Bagdad's Folly)
  • From: GormleyGreenery@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:54:07 EST

In a message dated 3/25/2004 11:13:53 PM Central Standard Time, IrisLady@comcast.net writes:
Hi Barbara,
I'm not sure whether or not the arilbreds will do well for you up there.   I've read and have been told that they really tend to grow well in the dryer warmer climates.  However, I've also read/heard that the arilbreds which have been bred using TB's are easier to grow in tougher climates like yours, than those which do not have TB's in their background.
I hope this helps you.  And I hope someone more knowledgeable on the subject can answer this more thoroughly for you.
Margie V.
I don't know if Chuck Chapman is out-and-about right now on this list but he would be a good Canadian source of info on this topic.  I do know there are many new arilbreds being introduced which are much hardier than their more-aril cousins that are surviving just dandy in colder, less arid climates.  Lowell Baumunk in Colorado would be another Great source as he is the Yearbook Editor for the Aril Society International (ASI).  Also check out the ASI website for info on arils and arilbreds:
In our climate, Zone 5 in the Midwest where it is often very cold and then hot and humid, we have a nice collection of arilbreds that annually thrill us-especially Chocolate Mint.
Rita Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO
AIS Region 18, Zone 5