Re: HYB: buds, hybridizing

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: buds, hybridizing
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:11:13 -0500

Bill Burleson said:
<Most of the stalks in the photos below have about three buds
                   per stalk. Not one of the modern hybrids growing here
come close in ability "keeping up".>

Thanks for the lovely photo of what is still my favorite iris.  My only
lament is that bloom is often frozen out here by the late winter/early
spring freezes.

I could only find one bloomstalk forming on them this morning, but I was
thinking much the same as you - these irises grow where they get pouring
rain running off the roof, leaf litter blown in, thrive without any
care.  My hybridizing goals remain to develop something that will grow
as well as these old things and bloom as well.  Nothing of mine is quite
there yet, tho some of Lloyd Z's kids come pretty darn close.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links