Re: i. Albicans?

In a message dated 3/31/2004 7:25:41 AM Central Standard Time, neilm@charter.net writes:

What I grew was a slightly greyed-white intermediate, completely sterile as far as I could tell and did not have the crisp look Iris City's photo suggests.

That stickler for words (precise in word choice) Mr. Pries, took me to task for stating on the species-group, albicans was "always" sterile. Attempting to prove him wrong I pollinated a few hundred blooms last year with IB pollen. I obtained one seed from one pod. That seed has not yet germinated and may not.

The effort to pollinate albicans continues here this year. I now have 4 pods set on albicans using a rebloomer pollen of presently unknown identity. My expectation is the IB pollen was incompatible.

My conclusion is that Pries is worth listenin' to, precise in word choice or not. The problem is gettin' him to talk.

Laughin' with perception corrected,
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links