Re: Re: Allbicans ?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Re: Allbicans ?
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:27:53 -0500

Bill Burleson commented" Mr. Pries, took me to task for stating on the species-group, albicans was "always" sterile."

I disliked what I had for form and color so much that I never tried to get a pod from it, but having a large numer of hives of honey bees present for the apples, there was never a lack of naturally pollinated blooms.  Anything with any fertility at all had occasional (at least) pods.  In more than two decades what we had that I thought was albicans never had a trace of a pod.

Either the bees thought it poison, or as ugly as sin, or else it was really, really sterile.  It just may not have been albicans.

Neil Mogensen   z  7  western NC

Yahoo! Groups Links