PHOTO: Liason and unidentified - OOPS

  • Subject: [iris-photos] PHOTO: Liason and unidentified - OOPS
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:24:15 -0500

Your photo of Liason is a beauty, Dave.  How delightful!

As to Colleen's unknown, I looked at it thinking "Lent A. Williamson" also, but am mindful there were a rather large number of the type with similar blending of colors floating around over the years.  Dolly Madison is not greatly different, for example.

A side-by-side comparison with a known "Lent A. Williamson" would be a useful way of making certain.  It is available, but I'm not sure where.  I'm thinking I saw it in Superstition's catalog and was tempted to order it for old times sake, and may yet.

The variety was the first that caught my attention---when I was about five years old for that matter.  I was fascinated with the intricate and beautiful haft markings and "gold leaf" look to some of the inner ones.  That clump sat for several years right next to the chicken house and always bloomed heavily.

My mother had gotten it from a woman in the tiny village near our farm who had quite a few irises with their names attached.

Later, when my mother realized I was as interested as I was, she bought a number of others with names attached for about a dollar a rhizome and got some high-class "historics" which weren't historics at that time.  They were from the lower end of current market varieties.  My grandmother also had a small collection of good irises with somewhat higher list prices within a few years, including the awesome TIFFANY and PRAIRIE SUNSET,  which I thought were about the most beautiful irises I'd ever seen.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=753844747