RE: HYB: Some Photos Posted

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: HYB: Some Photos Posted
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:51:18 -0500

Mary Lou, I have described (in the garden) the color of P 1-9 as "cranberry with copper tones in haft, base of standards and in the style arms.  I had given thought to naming it "Cranberry Copper.'"

One of the Lotus Land X P 1-9 seedlings has an astonshing color of light lilac-orchid standards with a narrow rose border of lace, full red violet falls (as in several of the sibs), vivid blue beard.  There's only one problem--the form is absolutely awful.  I'm hoping that is a temporary condition.  Sometimes second year plants look a lot different.  I may even make the cross again just to see if I can get a better version of this one.  The colors are beautiful, the flower quite different from anything else I've seen.

About MIAH JANE, I don't know how to answer.  It is wide, full, ruffled very nicely, tough, strong substance and lovely stalk.  It's one you just have to see to appreciate.  Yes, there are a LOT of very good blues.  This is one among many--but one I especially like.

I'd like to see what it a SEA POWER would do, crossed.  The only thing wrong with that is that the ancestry is pure Schreiner, and considering the number of thousands of seedlings they--and Keppel--grow, if I want anything different I need to go far outside their breeding genetic pool (which they do also from time to time--as witness the ancestry of SILVERADO--still Schreiner, but mixing both the black and the orchid line into the mix, and incorporating CARRIAGE TRADE, from a very different set of ancestors.

Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=906591669