  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] DAUGHTER OF STARS
  • From: "Cordesview" cordesview@m33access.com
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:57:13 -0500

Hi there Jim and all,
I really like the "aura" of a luminata iris. I don't have Daughter Of Stars, yet, but I do have several other luminata iris in my garden . . . many of them from Keith Keppel's line.  I don't know right off hand if Mind Reader (one of DOS's parents) is one of Keppel's introductions, though.
Here's my understanding of what makes a luminata different from a plicata.  In a luminata, the ground color of the fall has pigmentation, while the veins are without, making them white and visually standing out on the fall.  Also, there is usually a whitish "V" mark around the beards.  I like to think of the white veins as "luminating" out -- away from the beards.
Sometimes, I really believe it is up to the hybridizer whether to determine if his/her iris they register is actually a luminata or not.  I experienced that last year with an amoena, and someone questioning if it was just a bi-tone.  (The hybridizer had registered it as an amoena, so an amoena it must be!  :-)  (smile!)
Anyone may correct me if I am off on the topic of luminatas a little.  I'm still learning, myself!
Adam Cordes
President -- Mio Iriarians
Hillman, Michigan
Region 6