PHOTO: Re: Spring Is Coming?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] PHOTO: Re: Spring Is Coming?
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:25:43 -0500

Hmmmmm, Mike.  Is that a flashing "Stop" alternating with "Caution?"

That seems to describe what we are having here.  Weird weather, very weird.  The forecast is for snow starting about forty-five minutes from now and continuing through noon tomorrow, higher elevations accumulating several inches, here in the valley areas more like slush, snow, slush, snow, then rain, all occuring around 32 (that's supposed to be rendered the "degrees" symbol.  I never know what HTML is going to do with Alt codes).

We're sort of assuming we're stuck here at home for the day--neither of us relish the idea of sliding off roads into whatever lies below--or being slid into by snow-inexperienced drivers.  An inch of snow in the Asheville area leads to a couple hundred fender-benders and more.  Dorothy asks me (she's from North Dakota and northern Minnesota)--"Why don't they just stay home?"

Despite it all, I think we are about to the end of the crocus season, plus reticulatas all gone as well.  New growth on TB's is up to four or five inches on healthier plants.  As springs go, this is one for the books.  I never have seen such vagrant, stop-and-start indecision in weather ever before.  I suppose the dwarf irises will start popping any time now.  We usually have the first TB's open by late April or early May.

Neil Mogensen  z  7, bordering on 6    western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=412996373

Yahoo! Groups Links