Re: Iris Reticulata Harmony

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Iris Reticulata Harmony
  • From: dawnsharon2001 dawnsharon2001@nyc.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:59:13 -0500

About three years ago I planted a small bag of mixed-color I. reticulata hybrids. Since then I've added dozens of bulbs in blue and light blue varieties like 'Ida' and 'Cantab'. But the first to bloom are always the plum-purple with white from the original mix, which thanks to the pictures here I can identify as 'Purple Gem'.  I've got half a dozen blooming in a little clump in the front border.

The problem with 'Purple Gem' is that it's nearly invisible against dark spring earth. Does anyone know of an I. reticulata variety that actually stands out and is just as early as 'Purple Gem'? Or should I just be planting more snowdrops? (I have been, but no matter how many I plant, I seem to get just one flower every year.)

Thanks,
Dawn

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here