Re: RE: [iris]HYB:seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: [iris]HYB:seedlings
  • From: "jgcrump" jgcrump@erols.com
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:33:50 -0500

Although some types of irises have low germination rates because of
heredity, another big  reason is seed eruption caused by freezing and
thawing and rainfall.  A means of preventing this is to cover the pots with
an inch or two of pine straw (the long white pine needles are best).  This
protects the surface from rainfall's disruption, doesn't pack down, shields
the surface from freeze/thaw by blocking the sun's rays, and helps retain
moisture.  Remove the pine straw when the first sprouts appear.  --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia, where freeze/thaw is a real problem